Michael Thomsen PhD scholar, MSc, ND
I firmly believe in the value and preservation of traditional medicine. I work to inform health professionals about the incredible value of medicinal plants and I work with industry to improve the quality of the medicinal products made from medicinal plants and nutrients.
I now divide my time between clinical practice where I specialise in cancer support and my various business activities.
Michael Thomsen is a Naturopath with over 30 years’ experience. Originally from Denmark, Michael completed studies in Naturopathy and Herbal Medicine in Sydney, graduating in 1986. He has a Master of Science, from the Graduate School of Integrative Medicine, Swinburne University and is currently completing a PhD at Sydney University Medical School.
Michael has extensive industry experience as past technical manager of leading herbal medicine companies in Australia. He is the original author of the popular Phytotherapy Desk Reference now in its fourth edition having sold 16,000 copies worldwide.
Michael specialises in integrative oncology supporting patients with lifestyle and dietary advice, nutritional and herbal medicines and medical hyperthermia via allied clinics. His company, Eusano Healthcare, has pioneered whole body and local hyperthermia and water-filtered Infrared A (wIRA) in Australia, importing and distributing TGA listed medical infrared and hyperthermia devices made in Germany.
My interests are wide and deep. My focus is on fasting with the ProLon Fasting Mimicking Diet, herbal medicine, sustainable and ethical supply of medicinal plants, innovative medical devices, research and education. I am also very interested in epigenetics, genetic testing, and cancer testing, support and research.
Subscribe to my blog about herbal medicine
- L-Nutra - Fasting Solutions
- ProLon - Fasting Mimicking Diet
- Eusano Healthcare - Whole body hyperthermia heckel HT3000, local hyperthermia and hydrosun infrared light therapy
- Eusano Herbal Medicine - Innovative extracts from high-performance cultivars
- HerbResearch - Herbal medicine technical services
- Hobart Naturopah - Clinic for cancer support
- Phytotherapy Desk Reference - The essential companion for herbalists, naturopaths and students
- PhD scholar, The University of Sydney Medical School, Discipline of Pharmacology
- Director of L-Nutra Australia – Australasian supplier of the fasting-mimicking diet, ProLon.
- Director of Eusano Healthcare – Infrared & Hyperthermia Medical Devices
- Hobart Naturopath – specialising in naturopathic cancer support and integrative oncology
- Peer reviewer: Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine and Phytotherapy Review.
- Developed HerbDrugNutrient - an online database advising on safe prescribing of integrative medicines.
- International Consultant with UN International Trade Centre (ITC), development of natural products, herbs and herbal medicine products in Bangladesh.
- Visit to Bangladesh on behalf of Intercoorporation. Publication of a report concerning the development of a herbal medicine industry in Bangladesh.
- Obtained a master’s degree by research in applied science (herbal medicine) at the Graduate School of Integrative Medicine, at Swinburne University of Technology, Melbourne.
- Published Fourth Edition, Phytotherapy Desk Reference
- International lecturing on herbal medicine, manufacturing & quality control
- Technical Manager of Phytomedicine and HerbResearch. Phytomedicine was a manufacturer and Australasian distributor of practitioner strength herbal extracts.
- Technical consultant to the herbal medicine industry in Australia and overseas specialising in technical writing, Internet data base and new product development.
- Manager, Herbal Medicines, Phytomedicine, a leading Australian herbal medicine manufacturer and supplier to health professionals.
- Manager of Phytomedicine’s practitioner telephone and Internet support service. The service is used by health professionals including naturopaths and medical practitioners from Australia and overseas.
- Research Associate and course coordinator (Herbal medicine) at the Graduate School of Integrative Medicine, Swinburne University, Melbourne.
- Technical consultant to the herbal medicine industry in Australia and Denmark specialising in technical writing and new product development.
- Managing MediHerb’s practitioner telephone support service. The service is used by health professionals including medical practitioners from Australia and overseas.
- Lecturing: post-graduate courses and seminars in Australia, Malaysia, NZ and Denmark, including lecturing for the Australian College of Herbal Medicine: a Melbourne based college for medical practitioners.
- Herbal Biological Response Modifiers: Supporting patients undergoing conventional cancer treatments.
- Psoriasis: latest medical investigations and herbal treatment options
- Herbal medicine: lessons from traditions: constructing formulations
- Herbal prescribing for health professionals
- Herbal Medicine for Pharmacists
- Course developer for the Australian College of Phytotherapy: Advanced Diploma of Herbal Medicine, a post-graduate course. Students include medical practitioners and other health professionals.
- Published Phytotherapy Desk Reference in Australia
- Senior lecturer, School of Herbal Medicine, TAFE Tasmania
- Co-author men’s health book for the general public
- Published Kompendium in phytoterapi, Denmark
- Co-founder Institut for Phytoterapi, Copenhagen, Denmark. Senior lecturer in Phytotherapy
- Co-founder Scandinavisk Urte Import, herbal import company based in Denmark
- Ongoing twice-yearly lecturers in Norway and Denmark
- Natural therapies practice in Hobart.
- Co-author, women’s health book for the general public: menopause and herbal medicine
- Founder Newdegate Street Health Centre, a multi-modality medical and natural therapies clinic, Hobart, Tasmania
- Completed first year of a Bachelor of Arts degree, University of Tasmania (obtaining distinctions in sociology and psychology)
- Co-founder NSW School of Natural Medicine, Coffs Harbour. Principal lecturer in massage therapy.
- Natural therapies practice, NSW
- Natural therapies practice, Sydney
- Graduated from Nature Care College of Natural Medicine with Diploma of Naturopathy and Diploma of Botanical Medicine after 3.5 years of full time study.
- Emigration to Australia from Denmark.
- Michael Thomsen, Fasting for health and longevity – from calorie restriction to intermittent fasting and the fasting-mimicking diet, 11th Herbal and Naturopathic International Conference, 29-23 March, 2019, Melbourne, Australia
- Michael Thomsen, Fasting for health and longevity – from calorie restriction to intermittent fasting and the fasting-mimicking diet. Australasian College for Nutritional and Environmental Medicine. Webinar April 2019
- Michael Thomsen, Fasting-mimicking diet: Case presentaion. Australasian College for Nutritional and Environmental Medicine. Annual Conference, Melbourne May 2018
- Michael Thomsen, The Efficacy and Safety of Probiotics in Chemoradiotherapy-induced Mucositis. Poster NIIM Integrative Medicine: The art & science, 4th Annual Symposium 2017. Friday 24th November. Richmond, Melbourne
- Michael Thomsen, The Intestinal Microbiome, Chemotherapy and Adjuvant Treatments with Probiotics November 2017 Clinical Oncological Society of Australia (COSA) 44th Annual Scientific Meeting, Enhanced Supportive Care, Preconference Workshop, 13–15 November 2017, In: Asia-Pacific Journal of Clinical Oncology Volume: 13 Supplement 4:98
- Michael Thomsen, Know Your Options Annual Conference, Hyperthermia in the Australian Setting, Sydney, November 11-12, 2017
- Michael Thomsen, Know Your Options Annual Conference, Hyperthermia in Cancer Therapy, Sydney, September 24-25, 2016
- Thomsen, M, Schmidt, M Commercialisation of Saffron, 3rd International Symposium on Medicinal Plants, Their Cultivation and Aspects of Uses, 2013
- Epigenetics, Nutrigenomics and Cancer, Danish Association for Phytotherapy, Copenhagen, May 2012
- Epigenetics and Cancer, NHAA, Hobart Chapter Meetings 2011
- Nutrigenomics and herbal medicine, NHAA, Hobart Chapter Meetings, 2011
- John’s wort Interactions, 7th International Conference on Phytotherapeutics, 21-23 September, 2010, Tweed Heads, Australia
- Thomsen M, Vitetta L. Zinc deficits, mucositis, and mucosal macrophage perturbation: is there a relationship? Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care. 2019 Sep;22(5):365-370. doi: 10.1097/MCO.0000000000000588.
- K. Kuchta, M. Thomsen, T. Scior, M. Schmidt Interaction with St. John’s wort due to exposure with blackcurrant aroma? How not to present a case report of an adverse event Pharmazie 74 (2019)
- Thomsen, M., S. Clarke and L. Vitetta (2018). "The role of adjuvant probiotics to attenuate intestinal inflammatory responses due to cancer treatments." Benef Microbes: 1-18.
- Thomsen, M. and L. Vitetta (2018). "Adjunctive Treatments for the Prevention of Chemotherapy- and Radiotherapy-Induced Mucositis." Integr Cancer Ther: 1534735418794885.
- Saltzman, E.T. Palacios, T. Thomsen, M. Vitetta, L. Intestinal microbiome shifts, dysbiosis, inflammation and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease Frontier Immunology. Front. Microbiol. | doi: 10.3389/fmicb.2018.00061
- Vitetta L, Saltzman ET, Thomsen M, Nikov T, Hall S.Adjuvant Probiotics and the Intestinal Microbiome: Enhancing Vaccines and Immunotherapy Outcomes. Vaccines (Basel). 2017 Dec 11;5(4). pii: E50. doi: 10.3390/vaccines5040050. Review. Erratum in: Vaccines (Basel). 2018 May 15;6(2)
- Saltzman E.T, Thomsen, M., Hall, S. Vitetta, L. Mar Drugs. Perna canaliculus and the Intestinal Microbiome. (2017) 15 (7)
- Coulson, S. Thomsen, M. Vitetta, L. Clinical research with probiotics: methodological and regulatory Probiotics, D–Lactic Acidosis, Oxidative Stress and Strain Specificity. Gut Microbes. Gut Microbes. 2017 Jan 12:1-12
- Thomsen, Michael Integrative oncology in Australia E-poster presentation 2014 World Cancer Congress (#1095)
- Schmidt M, Thomsen M, Kelber O, Kraft K Myths and facts in herbal medicines: Eleutherococcus senticosus (Siberian ginseng) and its contraindication in hypertensive patients Botanics: Target and Therapy 2014:4 Pages 27—32
- Schmidt M, Thomsen M, Schmidt U. Suitability of Ivy Extract for the Treatment of Paediatric Cough. Phytother Res. 2012 Apr 25.
- Schmidt M, Thomsen M, Bone, K Tribulus terrestis-induced nephrotoxicity? Nephrol Dial Transplant (2011) 0: 1–2
- Thomsen M, Gennat, H. Phytotherapy Desk Reference, 4th Edition, 2010, published by Global Natural Medicine
- Thomsen M, Schmidt M, Vitetta L, Sali A Do herbs increase the risk of herb–drug interactions for patients with arthritis? Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases 2005;64:1527-1528
- Thomsen M, Flannery G, Vitetta L, Schmidt M Herbal preparation – ginseng and dang gui ten combination (PS10) and immune response in humans. Poster presentation International Congress on Natural Products Research July 31 – August 4, 2004 Phoenix, Arizona USA
- Thomsen M, Schmidt M: Hepatotoxicity from Cimicifuga racemosa? Recent Australian case report not sufficiently substantiated. Alt. Compl. Med. 9(3), in press (2003).
- Thomsen M, Schmidt M: Hepatotoxizität durch Cimicifuga racemosa? Die Kausalität in einem aktuellen Verdachtsfall aus Australien ist nicht ausreichend begründet [Hepatotoxicity from Cimicifuga racemosa? Recent Australian case report not sufficiently substantiated]. Phytother. 24: 11-14 (2003).
- Vitetta L, Thomsen M, Sali: A Black cohosh and other herbal remedicies associated with acute hepatitis MJA 2003; 178 (8): 411-412
- Thomsen M: Andrographis paniculata. Natural Pharmacy 2003; July/Aug 10-11
- Thomsen M: John’s wort, Turmeric and Olive leaf extracts. Natural Pharmacy 2003; Sept/Oct 18-19
- Thomsen M, Vitetta L, Sali A: Acute liver failure associated with the use of herbal preparations containing black cohosh MJA 2004; 180 (11): 598-600
- Thomsen M, Vitetta L, Sali A Fatal fulminant hepatic failure induced by a natural therapy containing kava. Med J Aust. 2004 Feb 16;180(4):198-9
- Schmidt M, Betti G, Thomsen M: The WHO guideline on Traceability: A chance for the amelioration of quality and safety of medicinal plant raw material
- Thomsen M, Schmidt M, Betti G, Casabiancad H, Omidbaigie V: Ferula gumosa: phytochemical variability in iran R: Poster presentation International Congress on Natural Products Research July 31 – August 4, 2004 Phoenix, Arizona USA
- Thomsen, M: In the surgery — working with a complementary therapist. J Comp Med 2(1): 2003
- Thomsen M: Quality Control in Herbal Products. Natural Pharmacy 2001; Oct 16-19
- Thomsen M: Herbs for Infants. Natural Pharmacy 2000; May 6-9
- Thomsen M: Botanical Brain Boosters. Natural Pharmacy 2000; June 10-11
- Thomsen M: The Herb-Nutrient Connection. Natural Pharmacy 2000; March 13-15